Fatal error on game start

Trouble playing/installing Banished? Ask for help here!

Post February 25th, 2014, 4:27 am

Fatal error on game start

Hi I bought this game because it looked interesting, however every time I start the game I see the worker with the pick on the botom of the screen then "A fatal error has occured and the game cannot continue!"

My system is an Acer notebook AMD Turion 64x2 @ 1.6 Ghz, 4 GB Ram, ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 video running Windows 7 (64 bit).
I do get a "crash dump" file in my documents\Banished\\Save\Crash.dmp

I tried forcing the system to run in DX9 using both methods mentioned in other forum strings but to no avail.

Is my system just too old to run the game I wonder. I never saw any game requirment specs so I am not sure.

Thanks for any positive comments/suggestions

Post February 27th, 2014, 11:49 pm

Re: Fatal error on game start

Your processor is slightly under the 2 GHz minimum requirements. I'd think it would still work, though the game might get slower than it should be.
Your gfx chipset will *never* play this game. It wasn't even a gaming platform when it hit the market back in 2007. It can use a maximum of 128 MB of shared memory, whereas this game requires 512 MB (one person successfully had it to run with only 256, but on a much better chipset than what you have).

It's probably a good laptop for desktop applications, surfing the web and watching videos, but I doubt it will play any recent game. I'm really sorry.

Post February 28th, 2014, 1:28 am

Thanks for the reply. Its pretty much what I figured. Was worth a shot though. I have sold the notebook and picked up a current machine, it plays fine. Just no sound, but have not tried the forum solutions yet.

Post February 28th, 2014, 1:51 am

"Forum solution" works 100% of the time, and takes only a few seconds to perform. Luke forgot to include a file in the installer, which is not required for most people but needed for some. Solution is to simply install manually the missing file.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=8109
Hit big large red button at the top, download, install. Enjoy!

Post February 28th, 2014, 5:09 am

Thanks. Right after my post I fixed the sound using your suggestion (from the no audio thread).
Worked like a charm.

Cheers.

Return to Help & Support