Important Question, Difficulty?

General discussion about the game

Post December 8th, 2013, 6:00 pm

Important Question, Difficulty?

Game looks great, really, alot of depth and nice graphics, but one important question. Does the game get more and more challenging, as in properly? does it ever test you or is it just a casual build'em up with not only no enemy to fight but the town management never really gets challenging/interesting/fun?

Of course when the town gets bigger there's going to be a few more problems to deal with, but from what ive seen its not going to be that hard still, just takes a bit more awareness and everything can easily be sorted out. The best way to put it, is that it just takes *knowledge* of how to solve the problem, and no skill whatsoever. And if its not hard its easy, and easy becomes very boring very quickly, once the novelty of finally being able to play the game, and having played it for awhile, wears off.

I only ask because i love the look of it so far, and it would be a shame for it to just be a simple build'em up with no real teeth, is the best way i can currently think to put it. As pretty as it looks to have a big town, i wouldn't think nearly as much of it if i didn't need to and don't constantly need to earn it, if its just gonna get big anyway and there's no enemy to fight and/or no other real difficulty to it.

Post December 8th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Re: Important Question, Difficulty?

As far as I know the game is about to keep your citizens alive. They are hungry, thirsty, need shelter, firewood to heat their homes, they're been born, get old, die and (I don't know if this is in the game) they get diseases. Also it seems that the citizens are able to learn a job like a blacksmith or something. If you got good trained citizens the supply with important goods will be better. I don't remember correctly but I think the dev said that the winter period is one of the hardest parts.

If you look at the achievements on Steam ( http://steamcommunity.com/stats/242920/achievements [actually interesting that some people already played the game]) I doubt this will be a simple build'em up.

Post December 8th, 2013, 8:18 pm

I can't remember if Luke was talking about difficulty or if it was a suggestion on the forums or whatever... but I remember a while back that it was mentioned you can start your map with a higher difficulty which translates into starting the map with less citizens than you normally would, thus meaning less people to do the same jobs (longer building time, less people for things like farming etc) so that your first winters can be gruelling because you haven't built up for it etc.

There was also an option to make winters last much longer and such, which adds more difficulty.

However, I honestly can't remember where I read the info =/

Post December 9th, 2013, 1:52 am

Thanks for the info. I dont like being able to set my own difficulty, like you could in say skyrim with the slider bar, i feel the developers have a much better idea for a suitable easy, normal, hard etc. I feel like id either make it impossibly hard or too easy, that id never find the perfect balance that the devs do.

Much prefer playing dev hard difficulty than my own :P wouldnt know for example just how long to set winter to make it really challenging, but not impossible and/or crippling.

Post December 9th, 2013, 7:02 am

Then its more a case of starting a few topics on the forums with challenges. Ive seen the same thing in Kerbal Space Program (where there is no difficulty). Basically they came up with a ribbon system so that if you managed to complete community challenges then you could use a certain ribbon in your signiture.

So basically you come on the forum and start a topic saying youve played Banished with an 8 month winter and managed to get X population... who can beat that!

For example :)

But I do understand just having a toggle between easy norm hard / extreme can be nice too.

Post December 10th, 2013, 5:35 am

I reckon that the more realistic the cost in terms of effort (manpower) to develop a product/goods/materials and a realistic usage rate of those materials will in itself provide a reasonable challenge. It's difficult to know just how complex the simulation is just from the videos, but hopefully the developer will be willing to tweak the appropriate values to ensure the challenge is there.

Edit: Actually giving it some more thought, while I'm certainly not a fan of "Disasters" per se, in city building games, I also believe there should be some form of natural event that causes a stress on either resources or infrastructure or the population. Changing the "likelihood" of these occurring I reckon would be one way to increase the difficulty quite easily.

Post December 10th, 2013, 9:25 am

There are definitely natural disasters in Banished, Luke has spoken about them before and how as long as you are prepared for them you can at least mitigate the damage they do. Such as stocking up lots of food, tornado wipes out your farms... you'll be ok for a few years. That kinda thing.

Post December 10th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Fire is also a possible disaster? We will have wells for counter it?

Post December 10th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Axios wrote:Is fire also a possible disaster? Will we have wells to counter it?

Yes. Check this screenshot:

Post December 11th, 2013, 8:03 am

Excellent, thanks Ri0Rdian for the heads up.

I'm hoping that the disasters are indeed of the "natural" variety, unlike UFO's, unlikely meteor showers etc. from a certain other city builder.

I'm thinking weather related, fire and health/disease derived events. Any others?

Post December 11th, 2013, 8:52 am

Under weather related you could have storms (lightning = fire?), flooding perhaps, another very normal disaster is an earthquake or hurricane. However, I don't know exactly what's in the game (can't remember what is a suggestion and what's actually been said on record at this point).

Post December 11th, 2013, 9:51 am

Even more interesting this game! Thanks for the info.

Post December 11th, 2013, 6:45 pm

I wonder if you were allowed to post this screen of the awards, since this is ingame material and most likely under NDA?
But that might just be me and me being paranoid.. happens if you work for big big game producers :P

Might also be me envying you that you have access already :P

Anyways... very nice informations :)
Always give it more than your best so you don't regret anything.

Post December 11th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Isildor1990 wrote:I wonder if you were allowed to post this screen of the awards, since this is ingame material and most likely under NDA?
But that might just be me and me being paranoid.. happens if you work for big big game producers :P

Might also be me envying you that you have access already :P

Anyways... very nice informations :)

I also found the image in a public post in the devlog on 10 October 2013: http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?p=1592 so it's ok.

Post December 11th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Wow, I should remember those posts better :D
Always give it more than your best so you don't regret anything.

Post December 11th, 2013, 11:30 pm

Isildor1990 wrote:Wow, I should remember those posts better :D

Exactly that, how else you think I would have got to that picture? :lol:

Post December 12th, 2013, 8:36 am

Ri0Rdian wrote:
Isildor1990 wrote:Wow, I should remember those posts better :D

Exactly that, how else you think I would have got to that picture? :lol:

Maybe he thinked that you are in the beta test..... on steam there are some people with banished achievements so they sre in beta test. Also in steam community a beta tester wroted on a public post about a bug founded and fixed.

Post December 12th, 2013, 10:10 am

There's a dev blog about crafting unique maps for different scenarios to provide unique challenges. We're not sure what will make it into the release but there was talk about maps with very limited or missing resources of different types. I'm not sure if there will be difficulty settings to tweak the game in other ways, like making it take longer to cut down a tree or change the average yield when you grow a crop. Tweaking those sorts of things could certainly make the game a lot easier or harder no matter what map you play.

Post December 12th, 2013, 1:57 pm

As long as a missing resource is not one that is crucial for existence, it will then be a case of better managing the trading aspect.

I agree with the tweaking aspect, it's getting quite fascinating how deep this simulation can go with the right initial structure.

Post December 12th, 2013, 6:48 pm

maxter wrote:As long as a missing resource is not one that is crucial for existence, it will then be a case of better managing the trading aspect.

I agree with the tweaking aspect, it's getting quite fascinating how deep this simulation can go with the right initial structure.

Resources are redundant. You can survive only gathering or only harvesting...

Post December 13th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Axios wrote:Resources are redundant. You can survive only gathering or only harvesting...

Hmmmmm, in my world, harvesting is gathering resources ;) in this instances food resources.

Post December 13th, 2013, 6:47 pm

maxter wrote:
Axios wrote:Resources are redundant. You can survive only gathering or only harvesting...

Hmmmmm, in my world, harvesting is gathering resources ;) in this instances food resources.

I meant to say, or collect wild fruits grow or raise animals. Error in translation. Sorry.

Post December 14th, 2013, 4:17 am

Sure thing, no problem, the speculation is fun though :)

Post December 14th, 2013, 8:14 am

Resources = wood, stone, wild animals, different fruits, berries etc on your map, then how frequently the trader appears and which items the trader is willing to sell. You'll have a much tougher time getting established in an area with few trees compared to one which has ample forest and game, for example, or improving your diet in one where the trader won't sell you many types of seed or livestock.

Return to Discussion