Crop Rotation

Feature requests/suggestions go here!

Post September 11th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Crop Rotation

Like so many others i recently came across Banished and ended up really liking what i see so far. Currently I'm on a quest to read the entire devblog archive in reverse order, and one thing i noticed was that crop rotation came up as a feature multiple time - though technically my reverse reading course started my off with the " It was implemented multiple times" post before any earlier posts detailing crop rotation. Since crop rotation itself did sound like a rather interesting mechanic i ended up thinking if there might be a way to implement a feature like that without it being overly involved or boring; And then realized that sitting over here thinking wouldn't help anyone - so for better or worse i figured i might write these musing downs.

Crop Rotation
What i was thinking is that, instead of rotating crops on multiple fields, the fields might "Internally" rotate fallow crops without any need for human intervention. A field would have three (or more) sections inside it, of which two would be planted and one would be fallow - the fallow section being rotated on a seasonal basis. Or displayed in amazing ASCII art:

Rotate
     ---------->
|.....|.....|.....|
|.....|.....|.....|
|. P .|. P .|. F .|
|.....|.....|.....|
|.....|.....|.....|

Under normal circumstances the field will rotate on its own, without the need for micromanagement or human intervention (Under the assumption that this rotation schemes default would be considered "stable"). However, if the player were faced with some disaster - for example a crop specific pest or a plague that decimates the game population hamstringing hunting operations - the farmers could be instructed to waive the fallow part of the field in exchange for a boost in the fields food production (A safety valve). Doing so would lower the fields soil quality over time, so one would have to decide if the disaster is sufficiently severe to warrant a short term boost in exchange for a longer term production decrease while the field heals. On the other hand one might increase the amount of fallow land on a farm plot - doing so could slowly increase the farms fertility to pristine condition, creating a few strategic high quality farm plots that could withstand the effects of over-farming for a longer time period.

Post September 13th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Re: Crop Rotation

Interesting ideas. I found out recently about the game and was not aware a crop rotation scheme was being planned or at least discussed so I'll have to look further to know what's going on.

Anyway, I've seen in the last video about agriculture something planned regarding the crop pests and how you have to plant different crops next year after you have a pest on a field, and how they can spread to neighboring fields if they share the same crop. I think these are good ideas that make the game more realistic without leading to a micromanagement not everyone may like, but of course ideas like yours would be nice to see. A system like this would probably require something like the "linking" of several nearby fields, so the game engine may know which fields to rotate, or another alternative would be to see multiple-crop fields (like a four-region rotational vegetable garden area, or a cereal/grass crop rotation field), but I think the development has went definitely to single-crop producing fields so it's a bit late for that.

Post September 14th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Re: Crop Rotation

Oh, I've just seen the thread when the dev mentioned his experience with the implementation of crop rotation mechanics and soil quality. It seems they both are not going to be in release, but at least he's fully aware of the issue, and some ideas to recover this feature may reappear again if a suitable and fun solution is found. So let's keep those ideas coming! :)

Return to Suggestions